"); As to the origin or meaning of the name Rottenrow, papers innumerable on this subject have been written, and the most commonly accepted finding is that it arises from Routine Row, a mixture of French and English; but this is too far-fetched. The provost or fleshers haugh in Glasgow Green might as well be called the provost's hall, which would be absurd, as hall, in the common acceptance of the term, means a dwelling. & J. Stewart & Menzies Ltd, Coatbridge, North Lanarkshire, Scotland and Lloyd & Lloyd Ltd, Birmingham, England. The Collage Corner Bar & Radisson is part of the Radisson Blu Hotel at the corner of Argyle Street and Oswald Street. These lands are composed of several smaller properties conjoined, the largest of which was Craigiehall, and this was the name it was known by till 1783, when John Robertson, who had sugar and cotton plantations in the West Indies, became proprietor and changed the name to Plantation. From his name originated the title of "peeler," as applied to the police; and from the interest he took in The name comes from Saint Thanew, whose cell was on the site of the Tron Church in Trongate Street; and, despite statements to the contrary, there is no proof of any building for religious purposes having occupied the square previous to that of 1780. can be seen in old files of the Glasgow Herald. SAINT ENOCH SQUARE was opened in 1782, the first church and the present steeple having been erected two years prior. He and James Ewing of Strathleven represented the City in Parliament after the Reform Bill of 1832. OSWALD STREET (Bridgeton) was formed on ground pertaining to Barrowfield Spinning Factory, which was owned by the same gentleman, who is deservedly commemorated by a statue at the north-east corner of George Square. google_color_text = "304625"; It had previously been known as Greyfriar's Wynd, the friars having had a monastery here under a charter granted to them by King James the Third in 1479. In a book of Scottish Pasquils of date l568-l7l5, it occurs in the Bannatyne MS., and was published by James Maidment, advocate, Edinburgh, in 1868 for the first time. In 1893 the Corporation purchased for a public park, from the trustees of Mr. Davidson, 53 acres of the demesne at the price of £29,176 5s on part of which they have since built an extensive hospital. STRATHBUNGO is a Celtic word having some connection with a stream running swiftly in a confined channel. Had this been a holy cross to the memory of a saint or bishop, the indictment would have mentioned it, and the dignitaries of the Church would most likely have taken the punishment in hand, or at least have had a say in it, but the Church is silent, and the Cross is clearly stated to belong to the town, and, standing in the position it did, points almost indubitably to it being the Town Cross. POLLOK STREET is named for the estate on which it stands. PRESTON STREET (off London Road) was named for John Preston, who had a rope walk there during the greater part of last century. Plantation. It is the widest street in the City, and was originally designed to be continued over the railway to Saint Andrew's Road, Pollokshields. Contains negative pledge. The lands of Silver Grove were acquired by Mr. Ure, the writers maternal ancestor, towards the end of the eighteenth century. Partick, of old Perdyec, from the Gaelic aper dhu ec, meaning the place at the confluence or mouth of the dark river. Go to BARR website . The old mansion, still standing, smoke-begrimed and weird-like, is used as a store, and in appearance belies its name. operation till well on in last century, reached the entire length, crossing Jamaica Street in an overhead gallery. The church having become unsuitable, it was taken down in 1827 and the present one erected. The building is still in existence and it was in it that Dr. Johnson, on his return from his Highland tour, rejoiced to find himself sitting once more in front of a coal fire. "Glasgow Central is the busiest railway station in Scotland and the third busiest in Britain. We will try to answer these questions and look at the history of the slave trade in Glasgow. PLAYFAIR STREET is formed on part of the lands of Dalmarnock, and here for many years a family of that name resided in a mansion near the bridge. the cause of Orangeism, the irrepressible Dan frequently prefaced his attacks upon him in Parliament by addressing him as his friend "orange peel.". All material in the site Glasgow Guide is copyright of the Glasgow Guide Organisation. In 1749 James married Margaret Dunbar, there being no children of this second marriage. NEAREST STATIONS Distances are straight line measurements from the centre of the postcode. It is really wonderful the fertility of brain possessed by some pundits. See why it was listed, view it on a map, see visitor comments and photos and share your own comments and photos of … In the Origines Parochiales by the Bannatyne Club in 1850, Shettleston is given as Schedinestun, and it is said to have been so called from a daughter of Saint Patrick's brother, or perhaps derived its title from some Saxon colonist; and the place is enumerated among the Bishop's possessions in 1170. Enjoy a tasty bite or delicious drink at Collage Corner Bar. Quarter Gill. RICHARD STREET is named for the son of William Gillespie of Wellfield, whose mansion stood on the west side of North Street till within the last three years. His name was Benjamin Thomson, and he got the title conferred upon him by the Elector Palatine. WODDROP STREET is formed on the lands of Dalmarnock, and named for the Superiors who were among the original portioners of Glasgow. VIRGINIA STREET, opened 1753, got its name from Provost Andrew Buchanan of Drumpellar. google_ad_slot = "5682111373"; NEWHALL STREET was formed on the lands of Newhall], which were originally possessed by Mr. Allan. Pitt Street, named in honour of William Pitt, the celebrated statesman. Sir Andrew Orr, who was Provost in 1854, had a considerable monetary interest in this street, and he tried to boom it, but it would not work, being too far west at that time for high-class shops. Piccadilly Street, after the thoroughfare of that name in London, which got its title from a tailor named Higgins, who had introduced piccadille, a French term for a kind of trimming set The name arose from a wooden cross which stood near the spot where the bye-road to the Clyde, now Finnieston Street, branched off from the main highway leading from the Bishops Castle to Partick. OVERNEWTON STREET is formed on the lands of that name, which was the patrimonial estate of Walter Gibson, who was Provost of the Town in 1688. He was elected to the See in Glasgow in 1271, and died 26th November, 1316, and was buried in the Cathedral between the altars of Saint Peter and Saint Andrew. google_ad_height = 60; In terms of property types, flats in Oswald Street sold for an average … /* 160x600, created 31/10/08 */ The old title being carried westward, and getting metamorphosed, was imposed upon Saint Enoch Square. He had been a builder, and while repairing a steeple there slipped and fell a considerable distance, only saving his life by catching hold of a projecting stone. James Oswald was Glaswegian merchant and Member of Parliament representing Glasgow back in the 18th century. It had previously existed as a thoroughfare known Gibson's Wynd, after Walter Gibson, who was Provost in 1688. This building, when erected, had apparently faced the east, as there was a built-up arched doorway that had been garnished with pilasters in the back wall, which fronted a small yard that intervened between it and a tenement in Saint Enoch Wynd. Was formed on the lands of estate of former merchant Walter Gibson, the eldest son John Gibson of Overnewton.